The Soundnet team creates their soundtrack to 2012
In a special end of year blog, Soundnet’s marketing manager, Toby Hoyte, reflects on how music has shaped 2012:
For me this year’s big musical event, the one that got everyone talking, was Danny Boyle’s Olympic opening ceremony, ‘The Isle of Wonder’. As I was watching the ceremony, people were commenting live on Facebook and Twitter. Friends who don’t usually have an opinion on music were online giving their thoughts on the Arctic Monkeys doing The Beatles or asking questions about why Oasis or the Smiths were not really featured. The following morning there were Spotify playlists doing the rounds and then a week or so later the official CD album came out.
It was great; I loved it. It gave me the chance to show off about how much I have always loved one of the tracks featured in the ceremony, ‘Surf Solar’, and how I had been coincidently pushing people to listen to it online in the weeks previous to that evening. What I liked most, though, was how everyone was rabbiting on about music and how people were then sharing playlists via Spotify and posting Youtube links on Facebook or Twitter.
In fact this legitimate sharing of music was what inspired us to decide to create our Soundnet Fave Tracks of 2012 list. It was Simon Davis, my MD here at Soundnet, who emailed everyone a couple of weeks ago and asked us to email back our favourite tunes of the year.
So here is our list:
It took a little editing but I think we have created a great little on trend, mix of 2012’s biggest pop hits, ground-breaking new alternative artists and what is probably the best Rolling Stones track of the last 20 years.
If you want any of these songs, or the complete playlist, for your background music or jukebox, get in touch.
List of tracks:
- Sbtrkt Feat. Sampha – Hold On
- Rolling Stones – Doom & Gloom
- Grimes – Oblivion
- Cat Power – Cherokee
- Jack White – Sixteen Saltines
- Alt-J – Breezeblocks
- Muse – Panic Station
- Biffy Clyro – Stingin’ Belle
- Aluna George – Your Drums, Your Love
- Grimes – Genesis
- Santigold – Disparate Youth
- Plan B – Ill Manors
- Lana Del Ray – Born To Die
- Melody’S Echo Chamber – I Follow You
- Richard Hawley – Leave Your Body Behind You
- Gaurav Wadhwani – God Is Love
- Jake Bugg – Lightning Bolt
- Richard Hawley – She Brings The Light
- Tame Impala – Elephant
- Shefali Alvaris & Kavita Seth – Tum Ho Ho Bandhu
- Orb Feat. Lee Scratch Perry – Golden Clouds
- Adele – Skyfall
- David Guetta Feat. Sia – Titanium
- Emeli Sande – Read All About It (Pt Iii)
- Fun – We Are Young
- Gary Barlow & Commenwealth Band – Sing
- Gotye – Somebody That I Used To Know
Tagged in: Other News